Translate

Tuesday 1 November 2016

October Wrap-Up

I read six books in October and branched out of my usual YA contemporary genre, so it was a good reading month as I discovered new worlds and new favourite authors.


One  by Sarah Crossan
This is a story written entirely in  poems about conjoined twins I feel that is all you need to know going into this book. I really enjoyed it due to it's unique format and concept. Also, this book has been shortlisted for, and won, quite a few awards recently so you should definitely read it. I gave this book five stars.

The Last Beginning by Lauren James
The Last Beginning was one of my most anticipated releases of the year and after reading it it lived up to my expectations. Lauren James has written another great sci-fi romance that I love and all the mysteries in The Next Together were answered in this book. I can't praise this book highly enough so I will just say go and read it if you haven't. I gave this book five stars and see it as one of my favourites due to how enjoyable and unique this book was.

The Witch's Kiss by Katharine and Elizabeth Corr
This a story about a teenage witch called to a duty of protecting her town from a boy killing people wanting their hearts and she is the only person who can save them, literally. The Witch's Kiss was a very enjoyable read because it was very fast paced and had lovable characters driving the plot forwards. I gave this book four stars as in the end the plot was quite predictable although there was a twist at the end and that is what made it a four star book for me.


City Of Bones by Cassandra Clare
This is one of those books everyone has read and I hadn't and that was why I did. I really enjoyed the world building in this book because sometimes world building is slow and there is no plot as the world building occurs, however in City Of Bones this isn't true there is plot and world building at the same time making this quite a fast paced read. The only complaint I have with this book is really my own doing because I have spent so much time on the internet that the big plot twist ending wasn't for me, I already new what it would be from various reviews of the book. Needless to say I still enjoyed this book and can't wait to carry on with the series. For me this was a three star book but if I hadn't had the spoilers it would be a four or even five star book.

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
I'm studying this book at GCSE and have mocks in November so needed to remind myself of the story. The first time I read this book it had very confusing language and I really hated it. This time round it was no where near as bad because I understood Dickens' writing better and I really liked his writing style. The message and moral of this story is good and so I gave it three stars because whilst I still wouldn't say it was something I enjoyed reading I did appreciate the importance and significance of the book a lot more this time round.

Remix by Non Pratt
After reading a classic I wanted a more light-hearted read and Remix provided that. I really enjoyed the humour of the story and I actually found myself laughing at some scenes! Remix follows two best friends and is told in split perspective between the two about their experience of Remix, a fictional music festival. As someone who has never been to a music festival I am not well educated on how factual their experience was, but I certainly enjoyed reading about it regardless. I gave this book four stars as whilst I enjoyed the book there wasn't an overarching plot, only lots of little plots, and I think that would have improved the book and tied it all together.

Thanks for reading this post! What did you read in October?

Last Post: I got a lot of books
Twitter: twitter.com/ElReadABook
Goodreads: goodreads.com/EleanorReadABook

No comments:

Post a Comment