Translate

Saturday 1 October 2016

September Wrap-Up

I only managed to read four books in September,but I am still quite proud of this considering I DNFed two other books and went back to school.


A Dictionary Of Mutual Understanding By Jackie Copleton
When I started this book I was so excited to read it to learn more about Nagasaki in 1945 and watch the story unfold of a child thought to be dead returning many years later to his Grandmother and them getting to know each other. Sadly, this wasn't that book. I didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped at all but read to the end as there was so much promise for the story to improve and it just didn't. This was mostly a story of memories from different points in the Grandmother's life and a bit from the Grandson's too. There as little to no plot to this and I wouldn't recommend reading it. However, it might just be me and you might love it. Overall, I gave this book two stars as the one thing I did enjoy was the words at the start of chapters explained with a dictionary definition and how that linked in with the title.

The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury
This was a pretty great book and I enjoyed it a lot. Before I start I should probably point out I don't read a lot of fantasy: it's just never been my thing, but this book might have changed that. I really enjoyed how it is a kingdom built on lies, that it wasn't just a setting the scene first book in a trilogy and actually had a plot and ending to the book. Even though I did enjoy it the lack of on the page diversity means it was a bit of a frustrating read because it was good but it didn't have good representation so I can't rate it as a five star book. In the end I gave it four stars due to the lack of diversity.

Unboxed by Non Pratt
I loved this book and everything about it. Unboxed is a dyslexia-friendly story about four friends retrieving a time capsule that the five friends put together before one of those five died. Reading this was so nice to see how they used to be friends and how they grew apart, but this box brought them back together. I was especially impressed at how this book could have such a great story told in only 140 pages about such a simple concept. Clearly, Non Pratt has a talent for writing and I am excited to read Remix at some point soon. All the characters in Unboxed were realistic and that definitely added to the story to make it work so well in such a short book. Overall, I gave this five stars and it has become one of my favourite books I have read so far this year!

13 Minutes by Sarah Pinborough
There isn't a lot I can say about this book without spoiling it so I just won't say anything. I gave this book 5 stars.

Thanks for reading! What have you read recently?
Last Post: What should be the next Zoella Book Club Picks?
Twitter: twitter.com/ElReadABook
Goodreads: goodreads.com/EleanorReadABook

No comments:

Post a Comment