Translate

Thursday 1 September 2016

August Wrap-Up

August was a good reading month for me as it contained the #SundayYAthon meaning I manged to read eight books during August.


Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill
I started this book at the end of July and finished in the first few days of August and I loved every minute of reading it, the story was so powerful and it definitely made me think me about how scarily realistic the possibility of the plot actually happening is. This was such an important book to read and I now fully understand why it is constantly recommended and I agree, just read it! In the future I would love to see this book implemented in to the English Literature Curriculum as there are so many themes and messages that can be drawn from this book it deserves to be there just as much as any classic. I gave this book four stars and the only reason it didn't pick up five was the middle of the book had quite a tedious plot, but the rest of the book made up for it.

Library Of Souls by Ransom Riggs
The final book in the Miss Peregrines trilogy and I'm not going to lie it wasn't the best of the three by a long stretch. It just took that little bit too long to get into and followed just a little bit too similar a plot to the the two books for it to be considered a great book. I'm actually quite disappointed by this as I loved all the characters and wanted see what the epic end to the trilogy would be and this wasn't what I hoped for. However, I did still enjoy his book for the ability to slip into this familiar world and learn a bit more about perculiars. For this reason I gave it three stars, it was a weaker plot,but still a nice conclusion to the series.

House Of Windows by Alexia Casale
This was a good book, not quite great, but a good book. I loved the concept of a 15 year old going to Cambridge and trying to fit in. Initially, this was a great book the characters were there with room for development and seemed quite strong and the plot seemed good too, at about the halfway point it started to go downhill to a good book when the characters didn't really develop for the plot to be carried along because the plot was not driving the story forwards itself leaving a stalemate. By the end I was back to enjoying this book and the reminder of Fangirl it did give me, which was nice. Overall, I gave this book three stars.

Mind Your Head by Juno Dawson
I don't tend to read non-fiction and this book most definitely made me question why because it was amazing! Juno did an excellent job combining facts, with advice, images and even a bit of humour in a simply worded short book to give great information on mental health for those with mental health issues, their parents and anyone just interested in the subject. It was so well written combining all these factors so I definitely feel I learnt something from it. Therefore, this is a five star book!

Vendetta by Catherine Doyle
I read this quite quickly as I was setting myself the challenge of reading 100 pages a day to get in the mindset for the #SundayYAthon. I actually really enjoyed this book as it was fast-paced with quite a few characters to 'meet'. My only real problem with this book was where it ended as it was too much of a cliffhanger for my liking and yes I know it is part of a series, but couldn't there have been more closure at the end of the book too. On second thoughts I might just be saying that because I borrowed it from the library so probably won't be able to read the other two books. Overall, it was great there was a good plot line, great characters and it was fast-paced and therefore I gave it four stars.

The Rest Of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness

On The Other Side by Carrie Hope Fletcher

Asking For It by Louise O'Neill

Covered Here in my #SundayYAthon post

Thanks for reading! What did you read in August?
Twitter: twitter.com/ElReadABook
Goodreads: goodreads.com/EleanorReadABook

No comments:

Post a Comment