Translate

Tuesday 2 August 2016

July Wrap-up

I managed to read eight books in July and I think that is a new record for me! Let's look at what I read.


The Square Root of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood
This was the first book I read in July and it was a really enjoyable read as it combined what I love in a book- swearing in German and time travel- making it seem like it will be a favourite. However, my enjoyment was lessened by the use of physics to explain what was happening because I just didn't quite understand so had to think to read, which isn't a bad thing. Overall, this is a good book using things I love and hopefully when I reread it my enjoyment will increase. I gave this book 4 stars.

Soulmates by Holly Bourne
Initially, I bought this book to decide whether I wanted to read anything by Holly Bourne as everyone keeps recommending the Spinster Club books, but I wasn't really interested in the storyline of them. Soulmates did interest me and it lived up to my expectations I loved this book there isn't much more to say. I really liked how it is a contemporary with sci-fi elements to explain what was happening, something I had only seen in The Square Root of Summer before this book. After loving Soulmates I have definitely got to pick up Holly Bourne's other books! I gave this book 5 stars.

Wolf By Wolf by Ryan Graudin
This book has been on my TBR for so long and I am glad I finally got round to reading it as it was great. The story was not what I was expecting as I was hoping for a bit more of a look at what living  in this alternate future is like, but once I got over that I loved that this book didn't do that because it made it a more complex story by  looking at the Axis Tour and using that as how Yael would reach Hitler to kill him. I have this book 4 stars.

This Song Is (Not) For You by Laura Nowlin
I read this to see representation of people on the Asexuality spectrum and for no other reason. This meant I didn't enjoy this book as much as if I had gone in open-minded because Tom's Asexuality is only a side plot that isn't really addressed. But don't get me wrong I still enjoyed reading the story of how the members of Vandalised By Glitter met and became that noise rock band. I gave this book 3 stars.

Sunny Side Up by Holly Smale
I have been reading the Geek Girl series since the first book came out and I love all of the characters, so how could I not love this. My only complaint with this book is the story fits between books 4 and 5 but was released after book 5 meaning it feels like the story isn't progressing. However, I didn't find too many problems with this as I just don't want Geek Girl to end. I gave this book 4 stars.

Unbecoming by Jenny Downham
This is probably one of my favourite books I have read this year. Why? Well, it follows the story of three generations of women in a family and how their lives change now they are thrown together. my favourite part of this book was probably how in some parts you would see the story through Mary, who has dementia, and that was so interesting to see how dementia affects the brain. I gave this book 5 stars.

Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall
I have wanted to read this book for quite a while as I always want to learn about people around me and this was Norah's story of living with agoraphobia. I found this incredibly interesting as a agoraphobia is something I don't know a lot about so my eyes were opened to how agoraphobia impacts your life, the lives of those around you and what it feels like. I gave this book 5 stars.

The Accident Season by Moïra Fowley-Doyle
This book is not my usual genre, so that is probably why I didn't enjoy it as much as so many other people did because it was harder for me to grasp the idea of magical realism in the first place. It was an intriguing throughout, but felt as though nothing really happened to resolve the story and explain why The Accident Season happened until the last few chapters. Nevertheless, I gave this book 3 stars.

That was my July Wrap-up. Thanks for reading!
Twitter: twitter.com/ElReadABook
Goodreads: goodreads.com/EleanorReadABook

No comments:

Post a Comment